Turkish journalist back in Turkey after detention in Egypt

Hilmi Balci, one of Anadolu Agency's four employees detained in Egypt earlier this week, speaks to media after he has arrived back in Istanbul, Turkey on 17 January 2020. [Ahmet Bolat - Anadolu Agency]
One of Anadolu Agency’s four employees detained in Egypt earlier this week has arrived back in Turkey, the agency’s director said Friday, Anadolu reports. Hilmi Balci said he felt the support of his nation and government while being held in Egypt, expressing his gratitude to the country’s president, foreign minister and communications director, as well as Anadolu Agency’s Director General Senol Kazanci, for their efforts. “This has come to the best possible result in a short time and I have returned to my motherland,” Balci said. On Tuesday evening, Egyptian police raided the Cairo office of Anadolu Agency and detained four employees, including Balci. READ: UN bashes Egypt over Anadolu Agency detainees  The whereabouts of the remaining three remain unknown. Turkey and the international community condemned […]

UAE: Sudan is determined to build modern system

The former Muslim Brotherhood-supported rule of Oman Al-Bashir has left behind a legacy of “gross failure and instability” in Sudan, the United Arab Emirates (UAE)’s foreign minister Anwar Gargash said yesterday. “Sudanese people are today facing accumulations of the failed ideology,” Gargash wrote on Twitter, stressing that they were “determined to build a modern system to extricate their country from the tough years.” On Monday, Gargash arrived in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum the Sudanese capital, where he met senior transitional officials including chief of the Sudanese Sovereignty Council, Abdul Fattah Al-Burhan. And Prime Minister, Abdalla Hamdok. Read: UAE-backed Yemen group, Hadi government complete prisoner swap “Of my impressions during my visit to Khartoum is that the era of Al-Bashir […]

Israel prevents student missions from visiting Ethiopia

Israel has banned its student missions from visiting Ethiopia following a recent security report about a “possible threat” on the African continent, local media reported yesterday. “Following warnings against travelling to Africa by the foreign office, the Israeli government had decided not to send any student missions to Ethiopia at this stage,” the country’s education ministry said in a statement. Following the move, all Israeli flights scheduled this year to the Ethiopian capital of Addis Ababa were reported to have been suspended. In August 2018, the body of a missing 21-year-old Israeli student, named Aya Naamneh, was found in an Ethiopian desert. The Israeli foreign ministry said later at the time that Naamenh had died from a “fall after separating […]

UK channels aid budget as it seeks closer ties with Africa post-Brexit

£395m trade boost is aimed at countering China’s spending on the continentBritain has unveiled plans to channel part of the £14bn aid budget through the City as it seeks to exploit the global reach of the finance sector to boost investment in Africa.De...

UN bashes Egypt over Anadolu Agency detainees

The United Nations on Thursday demanded the release of four Anadolu Agency employees detained during a raid on agency’s office in Cairo, Anadolu Agency reports. UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said his colleagues were speaking with Egyptian officials “at various levels” and urging them to adhere to global human rights treaties. “We are aware of the reports that Egyptian security forces raided Anadolu offices in Cairo and reportedly arrested four journalists, including one Turkish national. They’ve been detained in an unknown location,” Dujarric told reporters in New York of the raid Tuesday. “We are concerned about these developments as well as about the whereabouts and welfare of those who have been detained.” READ: IFJ calls on Egypt to release Anadolu Agency staffers As […]

GNA: Haftar violates Libya ceasefire

Commander of the Libyan national army and Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar on 7 October 2019 [File photo]
Libya’s UN-recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) on Thursday said forces loyal to renegade commander Khalifa Haftar violated the cease-fire in the country, Andolu Agency reports. Muhammed Kununu, the military spokesman of the GNA, said Haftar militias targeted al-Brega oil complex in southern Tripoli. The oil complex sustained the damage, he added. Haftar farces targeted the GNA forces in Gasr Garabulli area, 50 kilometers (31 miles) east of Tripoli, an Anadolu Agency correspondent reported. On Jan. 12, the warring sides of the Libyan conflict announced a cease-fire in response to a joint call by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Russian President Vladimir Putin. READ: Libya is blundering between Russia, US and the West’s interests But talks for a permanent cease-fire deal ended without an agreement on […]

South Africa has the world’s highest number of environmentally dangerous tailing dams

South Africa's mining companies are employing new technologies to reduce the life-threatening risks of tailing dams

A currency swap deal with China could backfire on Zimbabwe’s hope to build forex...

Zimbabwe joins South Africa, Nigeria and Ghana which also have currency swap arrangements with China.

IFJ calls on Egypt to release Anadolu Agency staffers

A global journalist group on Thursday called on Egypt to respect press freedom and release Anadolu Agency employees detained in a police raid at Cairo office earlier this week, Anadolu Agency reports. “We strongly urge the Egyptian authorities to release all jailed media workers and to respect press freedom. No journalist should fear punishment for reporting the news,” said Anthony Bellanger, secretary general of the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ), in a statement. “Journalists should not suffer from political strife between countries,” Bellanger added. READ: Turkey and rights groups condemn Egypt raid and arrests of Anadolu staff The statement called on Egypt to stop repressing the media and said the country “has a long-standing record of abusing journalists and muzzling […]

Why Haftar refused to sign the Moscow ceasefire document

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov (R) meets with Khalifa Haftar eastern Libya-based military commander at the Russian Foreign Ministry's Reception House in Moscow, Russia on 13 January 2020. [Russian Foreign Ministry / Handout - Anadolu Agency]
Diplomatic activities between Moscow, Ankara, Tripoli and Benghazi finally yielded some kind of lull in the nine-month war over control of Tripoli, the Libyan capital. On Sunday 12 January, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and President Vladimir Putin called on Libya’s warring sides to declare a ceasefire, which they did. On Monday 13 January Moscow hosted both Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, commander of the Libyan National Army (LNA) and Fayez Al-Sarraj, head of the United Nations recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) to sign the terms and conditions of the ceasefire. While the GNA accepted the proposed deal and signed the document, drafted by the Turkish and Russian negotiators, Mr. Haftar left Moscow on Tuesday morning, 14 January, without signing. The […]
- Advertisement -

APLICATIONS

Opinion: MUFC could become architects of their own troubles as rivals...

Manchester United could rue their muddled transfer strategy as Tottenham plot a late swoop for Bruno Fernandes.

HOT NEWS